|World's largest solar tracking facility at a wastewater treatment plant
Chico is a center of sustainability due to significant efforts occurring in business, education and government. Chico welcomes business investments that build on its commitment to stewardship through sustainability.
- Numerous businesses in Chico produce sustainability-related products and/or have implemented major sustainability measures in their operations. Sierra Nevada Brewery and Smucker's Natural Foods are industry leaders in sustainable business practices. Other Chico companies such as FAFCO, Klean Kanteen, Chico Bag, and Greenfeet focus on innovative products in sustainability. Chico companies such as Springboard Biodiesel and Transfer Flow, Inc. are leading the way to cleaner alternative fuels.
- California State University, Chico and Butte College are leaders in sustainability in higher education, incorporating it into their strategic initiatives and curriculum, resulting in a skilled workforce trained in sustainability.
- The City's leadership in sustainability includes:
- Major solar installations (world’s largest solar tracking facility at a wastewater treatment plant)
- Partnership in the EPA Green Power Leadership Club
- Signing of the US Conference of Mayors Climate Protection Agreement to work toward measures to reduce global warming
- Sustainability element included in Chico's 30-year General Plan Update